Sunday, December 21, 2008

Episode 3. Part 4.5.

Look at Yahoo's front page right now. go to the video tab, look what you see. a girl trying to steal a ball from a boy with a blue jersey with the words Blazers on it with the headline: Team Sticks by Girl Player. I know the boy, his name is Chris Mousel, and he plays for the Inverness Christian Academy Blazers.

That's right. The Inverness Christian Blazers. My Team. I played the team "with the girl". But the team's more than that. I can tell you guys that as they beat my Junior Varsity players that day, they weren't arrogant or cocky when they celebrated, they acted gracious towards their visiting team. They prayed before and after games, shook my players hands instead of that hi-5 bullshit some players give mine. They were just as gracious when my Varsity boys defeated theirs as their JV players were towards mine. I can personally say Westside Christian was possibly the nicest school I have ever had the great opportunity of coaching against. I personally wrote to the Suncoast Christian Conference the next day voicing my opinion: that Aliyah should play for the remainder of the season and then the conference should amend the rules to better clarify what to do in this situation.

I saw her in a warmup shirt that day when I arrived at Westside Christian, and I first assumed that she was just wearing her boyfriend's jersey. I was wrong, as I watched the players take the court, she came on the court as well. I was surprised, to say the least. I later found out that for every game she played in, the team would have to forfeit that respective game. I felt like crap, especially since we lost 37-35 to Westside that say.

I'm afraid for the state of the conference right now. It seems that if this negative attention somehow reaches Yahoo! then there's going to be some negative press elsewhere. Good thing our next game isn't until the 6th, I need to clear the crap outta my head. Maybe...a Pepsi?*

Because It Can.

*Sipping on a Pepsi, Thinkin' reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment